Registration: Your doctor’s office will send us all the necessary information for registration.
A Health History Nurse will call you prior to your surgery to collect information about your health and answer any questions you may have in order to expedite your admission process. The nurse will provide you with the appropriate arrival time for your procedure. If you have not received a call by the day before your surgery, or if you have additional questions, please call us at (704) 815-7880 between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
Food and Drink: Do not eat any food at 10pm the night before your surgery. You may drink clear, non-alcoholic liquids up to four (4) hours before your surgery time at the surgery center.
Alcohol: Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
Smoking: Do not smoke after midnight the night before your surgery.
Clothing: Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Makeup, Nail Polish, Jewelry (including body jewelry): Please remove all these items before surgery. This includes wedding rings. Please do not wear any makeup, as it can hide certain clinical signs.
Contact Lenses: If you wear contact lenses, you will probably have to remove them for the surgery, so consider bringing your glasses. If you have to wear your contacts, please bring a contact solution and contact case. If you wear eyeglasses, please bring your eyeglasses case.
Valuables: Please leave valuables at home. Matthews Surgery Center is not responsible for the loss of valuable items at the facility.
You will need to make arrangements for the following assistance during and following your surgery:
- Driver: You will need to make plans to have someone drive you home following your surgery. Do not plan to use taxis or other public transportation.
- Escort: A friend, relative, or dedicated caregiver MUST stay with you for 24 hours following your surgery.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Care for Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot speak English or uses sign language, an interpreter will be required at the surgery center. Please contact Matthews Surgery Center at (704)815-7880 as soon as possible for assistance arranging for an interpreter.
Notify Matthews Surgery Center and Your Surgeon if You:
- Have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting, or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- Suspect you may be pregnant.
- Are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
Patients Under 18 Years of Age: A parent or legal guardian must accompany all patients under 18 years of age. Proof of legal guardianship must be provided. A consent form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian before medications or treatment can be given.
Matthews Surgery Center exists to improve the health of communities one person at a time.
Matthews Surgery Center will deliver the most remarkable patient experience in every dimension, every time.
The Matthews Surgery Center values of compassion, diversity, personal excellence, and teamwork guide our actions and behaviors as we work together to achieve our vision and further our mission.